Call for Papers: RE:TRACE 2017 – 7th International Conference for Histories of Media Art, Science and Technology
The 7th International Conference on the Histories of Media Art, Science and Technology titled RE:TRACE focuses on an evaluation of the status of the meta-discipline Media Art Histories today. The conference takes place November 23-25, 2017 in Krems and Vienna (Austria).
The organizing committee invites researchers of different areas, disciplines and practices to submit individual papers, posters and full panels with new and original research preferably in the following themes:
– MediaArtHistories – historiographies and futures of an ever-emerging field
– Institutional histories of Media Art
– Media Art & Politics (surveillance, climate, visualizations, etc.)
– Collecting media art / Media Art market
– Archiving, preserving and representing Media Art
– Re-Use of cultural heritage data, including education, learning and research
– Methodologies and research tools for MediaArtHistories with a focus on Digital Humanities
– International and local histories and practices of media art
– (Post-)Colonial experiences and non-Western histories of media art, science and technology
– Paradigm shift – Digital vs. Post-Digital Theory
– Alternative histories for Media Art in relation to newly evolving or unexpected fields.
– Models and perspectives of research fields adapted across traditional disciplinary lines.
– New symbolic architecture of digital super companies (Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, FB, Google)
The conference program will include competitively selected, peer-reviewed individual papers, panel presentations and posters, as well as a small number of invited speakers. Presentations will be delivered in a range of formats, from panel discussions to a poster session. The organizers particularly encourage submissions by researchers from international contexts outside of Europe and North America.
Submission Deadline: March 26, 2017